Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Kissing Hand

Owen starts kindergarten tomorrow.  I'm excited for him, but at the same time sad to "let him go".  I read the book "The Kissing Hand" to him before bed.  It's the sweetest little story about a raccoon that is getting ready to go to school.  The raccoon is sad and scared. The mom explains that he'll meet new friends, read new books and play with new toys, etc.  To make Chester feel better, the mom kisses Chester's hand and places it on his cheek.  When he gets sad or scared during the day he can think of his mom's love.  
Owen hasn't really acted scared or sad, which I am very thankful for.  I'm anxious to see how he does in the morning. I think it finally hit me this weekend that he's actually going to be in kindergarten. I've been a little emotional this weekend.  I'm actually surprised I was able to get through the whole book without crying.  I may have gotten a little teary, but with Carson yelling/playing right next to me was a bit of a distraction. :)
I made a little heart on Owen's left hand, so he would think of us if he got scared or sad tomorrow.  He was really excited about it.  It's permanent marker, so it will be there for awhile!
  
To be continued................    




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Momo says: Just so the teacher doesn't say, "Go wash your hand!"

Sue Robinson said...

Reading your blog brought tears to my eyes, it reminded me of Dante's first day of kindergarten, he was fine but I cried. So good luck to YOU, I'm sure Owen will do fine. :)Sue