Monday, August 6, 2012

Owen's First Day

Owen did such a great job this morning.  No tears, just excitement!  I am so proud of him.  Can't wait to hear how his first day went.


Love this picture.  It's not a great one of Owen, but you can see Carson peeking out the window.



Eric’s thoughts…

Today was Owen’s first day of Kindergarten, or “big boy school” as we have been calling it.  Dropping him off this morning and watching him go off into a world without Mom and Dad to hold his hand caused me to reflect a bit. 

As a parent, sometimes one can find themselves looking forward to the day when their kids take on more independence.  A more independent child will, of course, allow for Mom and Dad to go back to some of the things they used to love; a few rounds of golf, dinners with friends, or even just a quiet movie on the couch.  All of these things seem so wonderful when you find yourself in the heat of the battle raising three young boys!  While we are still a long ways away from this kind of independence, today felt like a step in that direction and was cause for an epiphany on my part.

I certainly do look forward to the day when I can spend more time with my Wife or spend a care-free afternoon on the golf course more regularly.  But, I’m truly thankful those days AREN’T here quite yet.  For when they arrive, it will mean that my kids have grown up.  I’m just not ready for that.  As difficult as it can be at times, there are so many wonderful things about raising young children.   Here are a few that come to mind with our lovable cherubs:

-         Carson has just recently begun to yell my name “DA” “DA”, while he scrambles over to my legs as I come home after work.  He is such a cheerful and enthusiastic boy!

-         Brady just loves to imitate everything Owen and I do.  I just hope I’m setting the right example.

-         Owen has such curiosity about life.  He wants to know the “why” behind everything and is undeterred in his desire to learn.  I think Science and Nature will be his favorite subjects.
Truly, what a great thing it is to be a Dad of young children.  Taking Owen to Kindergarten feels like we have closed one chapter in our life, but I’m so glad for all of the chapters yet to come. 

“Life is short, but sweet, for certain!”




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay...this made my eyes leak!!! You and Eric are wonderful parents and that's what we love about you! Thanks for letting grandparenting by long distance be easier on us knowing you guys are leading by example!! Love you all, Momo and Papa